Beili Du, Pentre-bach
Beili Du is an excellent example of a long wall chapel in a rural location, and retains joinery finished in painted imitation graining, typical of its date. It was first built in 1800, to serve the local Calvinistic Methodists of this part of Breconshire, where it was well-served by student-preachers attending the College of the denomination at Trefeca. The cause was founded in 1790 and a parcel of land belonging to Beili Du Farm was leased to the trustees in 1800. The cause was originally Welsh-speaking, but eventually English predominated, in line with linguistic change across many areas of south and mid Wales. The present chapel was rebuilt in 1868, its whitewashed rubble ‘long-wall’ design quite old-fashioned for its date. The interior is barely touched by Victorian fashion, including the tub-like pulpit.
Following its closure it was acquired by Addoldai Cymru in 2009.Read more about the History of Beili Du Read more about Beili Du Read more about the Work to date Read more about Calvinistic Methodists