Libanus is an excellent example of an early gable-end façade in a rural location, and retains its original pews and gallery, the latter with later Victorian stencilled decoration. The Baptist cause began in 1788 when members of Capel Soar, Llandyfaen (near Llandybie) were baptised at Waunclyndaf. A movement to erect a chapel for the new group foundered when difficulties were discovered with the proposed site and the group split into three smaller groups. The first chapel was built around 1790, apparently as a thatched building to serve both Baptists and Methodists in the area.
The present chapel was built in 1841 in its isolated position by the chapel members themselves, on land given by one of its deacons, David Price of Blaenwaun. The south side, nearest the road, has a late 19th century lean-to vestry and schoolroom. The interior of this chapel is of particular note, with a three-sided gallery mounted upon four decorated columns. The stencil decoration found on the columns is also reflected on the cornice and panels, and there are three blocks of painted panelled box pews, with larger family pews to the front centre. The late 19th century pulpit and the set fawr are of pitch pine.
By 1936 membership had been reduced to 17 and the chapel closed in 1998. It was acquired by Addoldai Cymru in 2003, its first acquisition.Read more about the history of Libanus Read more about Libanus Read more about work to date Read more about Baptists Read more about Calvinistic Methodists Read more about Wesleyan Methodists