- Nprn: 7387
- Cadw Record No: 24018
- Summary: Penllwyn Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Chapel was first built in 1790 to house a cause began in 1779, but it was later rebuilt in 1821 and 1850, and further modified in 1877 and 1899.
It is in the simple round-headed style, with an unpainted rendered exterior with stucco dressings, below a pitched slate roof with paired bracketed eaves. The lateral facade of the chapel has five bays, containing four arched small-paned windows with radiating bars to heads and a central entrance with a similar radiating bar fanlight and panelled double doors. The windows and moulded arched hoods with keystones liked by a string course, while the walls have angle quoins.
The chapel interior is ungalleried, with four blocks of painted grained numbered box pews, which are raked up to the right. The pulpit, which is on the left hand end wall, is heavy carved wood with turned balusters to the flanking stairways and platform sides, and turned newels with ball finials. The set fawr is in a similar style with baluster back and turned newels. Behind is a simple plaster arch with paired console brackets and moulded arch. Above, the ceiling is plastered and painted with moulded cornice and a small acanthus rose and plain roundels.
In 1905 (Royal Commission on the Church of England and Other Religious Buildings in Wales and Monmouthshire census), it was large enough for a congregation of 460, with a further 80 in the Sunday School and was valued at £1673.
- Description: Cause begun 1779 & chapel built c.1790; rebuilt 1821, 1850, 1877 & 1899. Built in simple round-headed style, long-wall entry type. Status (1998): in chapel use.
1851 Census "uncompleted inside, building inside 54 ft. by 42 ft. ... This chapel is now being rebuild the third time. It is yet only completed the outside"
- Built: 1790 Source:1851 Census
- Built: 1790 Source:Horsfall-Turner
- Built: 1850 Source:Evan James
- Built: 1790 Source:RCAHMW
- Cause: 1790 Source:Horsfall-Turner
- Date Of Chapel: 1877 Source:
- Rebuilt: 1850 Source:Horsfall-Turner
- Rebuilt: 1821 Source:Horsfall-Turner
- £ 1673: 1905 (RCCEORBWM)
- 460: 1905 (RCCEORBWM)
- 80: 1905 (RCCEORBWM)
- Chapel: 29/11/1996 (Site visit)
- Chapel: 01/2011 (RCAHMW)
- Monument Type: CHAPEL
- Form: Building
- Style: Simple Round-Headed
- Plan: Long-wall entry
- Window Glazing: Margin
- Windows: Round-Headed
Key Details of this Chapel
Key Dates of this Chapel
Costs during this Chapels History
Capacities during this Chapels History
Changes of Status its History
Key Characteristics of this Chapel
Images from Coflein
- Grid Reference: SN65318034
- Address: CAPEL BANGOR