- Nprn: 8279
- Cadw Ref: 63/J/51(19)
- Cadw Record No: 8775
- Summary: Zion Baptist Chapel was built in 1842 with further rebuilding/modification in 1891. The present building, dated 1892, is constructed of brick in a mixed Vernacular/Simple Round-Headed style of the long-wall entry type. The building is now Grade 2 Listed but no longer used as a chapel.
RCAHMW, January 2010
- Description: This C18 and C19 structure was used for Baptist services in the 1840s (Cadw), having been [re]built in 1842 (1851 Religious Census; date plaque, illustrated in J B Sinclair & R W D Fenn, Marching to Zion: Radnorshire chapels (1990)), & opened? in October (BCS/BGC). Further works of 1891 (24 & 25 June (BCS/BGC). Round-arched openings at the front, older? & square-headed at the rear (Sinclair & Fenn, op. cit.). Status (1995): other.
In Cadw list description of 31/01/1995, the building is described as the former meeting house to left of Gladestry Post Office (formerly listed as The Shop).
Village centre, fronting through road 200 yards NE of Parish Church.
C18 and mid C19 with Gothick detailing. Formerly the Meeting House of a Friendly Society, The Loyal Order of Ancient Shepherds, and in 1840's used for Baptist services. Coursed rubble blocks, two rubble side stacks, slate roof, deep-set eaves, decorated bargeboards and eaves brackets. Openings under elaborate ogee hood moulds. Two large central windows, the upper one modern, the lower one original, multi-paned iron frame in timber surround. Recessed modern door to left up steps, boarded basement door to lower right. In apex, plaque showing the sign of the Lodge, a heart within a hand.
- Built: 1842 Source:Religious Census
- Built: 1842 Source:RCAHMW
- Structure: 1700-1899 Source:Cadw
- Used For Baptist Services: 1840-1849 Source:Cadw
- Rebuilt: 1891 Source:
- Date Of Chapel: 1891 Source:
- £ 300: 1905 (RCCEORBWM)
- 72: 1851 (Religious Census)
- 80: 1851 (Religious Census)
- 170: 1905 Sittings (RCCEORBWM)
- Converted: 2010 (R Scourfield)
- Monument Type: CHAPEL
- Form: Building
- Style: Mixed
- Plan: Long-wall entry
- Window Glazing: Large Pane
- Windows: Round-Headed
Key Details of this Chapel
Key Dates of this Chapel
Costs during this Chapels History
Capacities during this Chapels History
Changes of Status its History
Key Characteristics of this Chapel
Images from Coflein
- Grid Reference: SO23255514
- Address: GLADESTRY