More about Yr Hen Gapel
In 1834 the present, third, chapel was built on the same site as the second, and the first burial in the graveyard took place. The chapel was again renewed at a cost of £300 in 1862.
The building ceased to be used as a chapel after the “Troad Allan” of 1876, when the congregation was evicted from the building by John Lloyd of Alltyrodyn who claimed that the conditions of the lease had been breached. The congregation built a new Llwynrhydowen Chapel (NPRN 7289), but on the death of Mr Lloyd two years later, his sister Mrs Massey returned the building to the trustees. It was subsequently used as the Sunday School, and also for village Christmas concerts and eisteddfodau until c1959 and the construction of the Neuadd Goffa D.H.Evans in Pontsaen.
The chapel is a long-wall entry type built of coursed rubble stone with dressings and quoins of paler ashlar stone and a half-hipped slate roof. There are two doorways to the outer bays, with panelled doors and fanlights with intersecting tracery. There is a central pair of tall round-headed windows with sash glazing beneath a head of intersecting tracery, and two shorter, similar windows to either end over the doorways. In the centre is a slate plaque inscribed “Llwynrhydowain 1834”. There are two inscriptions from the earlier phases of building and four 19th century memorial stones, including one to Mary Thomas, the first wife of Gwilym Marles.
In the interior are slate flagged vestibules, leading ahead up steps to the main chapel interior and to gallery stairs. Each vestibule has a 19th century half-glazed screen wall parallel to pulpit and 2 doors leading to chapel, fitted with etched and coloured-glass margin panes. The main interior has a wooden floor and white plaster walls and a ceiling with a circular centre panel and moulded coving. There are bench seats to the ground floor, laid out in three blocks to the rectilinear Sedd Fawr. Two flights of steps leading up to the rectilinear platform pulpit have turned bobbin balusters of 17th century style. The pulpit has a central canted projection with moulded panels and a sloping lecturn. In the NE corner is the former minister’s library containing a two tier bookcase with a zinc front. There is a mid 19th century gallery to three sides, supported by 5 iron columns stamped “T BRIGHT CARMARTHEN” and with a front of grained and moulded panels. Opposite the pulpit is the clock with the legend “Dd Jones, Lampeter”. The gallery is fitted with open bench seats.